Harmonising Reporting: Working group report
Harmonising Reporting was published in 2010 by the Scotland Funders’ Forum (SFF) with support from
Evaluation Support Scotland (ESS) to make reporting to funders less burdensome and more useful for funders and funded organisations. It sets out tips, good practice guidance and templates for use by funders to improve reporting. There are also top tips for funded organisations on what makes a good report.
The report concluded that, when it comes to reporting:
- One size does not fit all funders
- Relationships matter
- Most funders want to know what you did, what difference you made, and what you learned
- Funders cannot always avoid specialised words
- Organisations that get support to build their skills on monitoring, evaluation and reporting often report more effectively than those who have had no support
- Support is about good communication
See the report summary.
The report contains helpful resources such as a reporting template and top tips for third sector organisations on what makes for a good report.
- How Harmonising Reporting came about
- Harmonising Reporting implementation: case study report
- Harmonising Reporting Champions
The Evaluation Declaration
We worked with the SFF to produce The Evaluation Declaration. This has 5 statements that describe why monitoring, evaluation and reporting are important and what they should achieve. Funders are saying they believe evaluation is valuable, relevant, proportionate, supported and involves looking from the inside and outside at our work.
The Evaluation Declaration Health Check Tool
The 'Evaluation Declaration' health check tool helps funders think about the way they undertake monitoring and evaluation and their relationships with funded organisations. The Evaluation Declaration health check tool and the guidance for this tool are free for you to download. The tool and guidance reflects the learning from Harmonising Reporting. Please contact us if you are a funder and would like support to use this tool.
Get in touch!
Learn how Harmonising Reporting can help your organisation