Train the Trainer in Evaluation
"Training the Trainer in Evaluation" is the ESS approach to strengthening the evaluation capacity across the third sector. We coach participants to support others in evaluation using our “Let’s Evaluate!” programme as our starting point.
We have run successful programmes with the Alliance and Voluntary Action Scotland to support Third Sector Interfaces to deliver evaluation skills training. Get a flavour of this work by reading Sara Redmond's blog about The Alliance's experiences and read the lessons learned from this work as well as the difference made in this report.
Do you or your organisation support others with outcomes? If yes, the full "Train the Trainer in Evaluation" programme can be commissioned from ESS. Don't want the full programme but want to get started? Then we can deliver a one day workshop "Train the Trainer: What are my outcomes?" This day will enable the participants to support others with understanding how to express and interact with useful outcomes using our “What are my outcomes?” workshop as the starting point.
Email us to commission the full course or one day workshop.
What does Train the Trainer programme look like?
- Application process to ensure we get the right people in the room.
- “Training, Evaluation and Communication” workshop to introduce ESS values, encourage peer collaboration and define what success means for the programme.
- Our 3 “Let’s Evaluate!” workshops supplemented by 3 tailored learning days to create space for exploration of tough evaluation questions and different approaches to learning and development.
- Tailored support for each participant to help with planning work, evaluating sessions or applying learning to practice.
- End of programme “Learning from Evaluation” workshop to recognise the distance travelled by the participants, celebrate success, learn from challenges and decide on next steps.
"I really enjoyed the day and it was great getting to know everyone as we will be working together on this. It was a good idea to discuss and share ideas on evaluation and I am really looking forward to participating in the rest of the programme". Sharon Bissett of Voluntary Action North Lanarkshire
So What! What impact does the support make?
After evaluating the first two programmes we found that:
- Participants increased their understanding of evaluation and training and have a much greater ability to support others.
- They cascaded their learning to small, community organisations that ESS would not otherwise have reached.
- They used the materials and thinking from ESS in a wide variety of ways from delivering whole workshops to creating smaller, more flexible interventions.
- The learning also affects participants and organisations in more subtle ways including language use, work focus and contributing to an “evidence culture”.
If you are interested in Train the Trainer approach